Neal Lemery’s List of Suggested Books on Writing Craft and Guiding Principles
Stephen King, On Writing
Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
Lisa Cron, Wired for Story: The Writer’s Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentenc
Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Julia Cameron, The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity
My Guiding Principles
- Write what you know
- Show, don’t tell
- Write often, even if it’s the grocery list
- Carve out a time and space to write and do it regularly. (Make an appointment with yourself.)
- Carry some paper and a pen everywhere. The Muse strikes unexpectedly.
- Give words to someone’s story. Give them a voice.
- If the story is too close, too painful, write it as fiction, or in third person.
- Writing folders on your computer, on the desktop. Yearly Journal. Subjects. Don’t trash anything. Every writing work is a seed.
- Read great writing.
- Do a blog. (self imposed obligation to write, and gets you “out there”)
- (My blog turned into two books)
- group blog
- guest blog (post someone else’s writing on your blog)
- Link to your Facebook page, or blog directly on Facebook
- Photo blog/Instagram
- Link to Twitter